[erlang-questions] Possible bug after ets:insert exception

Trevor Woollacott [ MTN - Innovation Centre ] Woolla_T@REDACTED
Tue Aug 19 16:17:45 CEST 2008

Hi

It's not a bug. The shell crashed when you tried to insert the atom (due
to the uncaught exception). This is because you started the ETS table
from the shell, so the ETS table is linked to that particular shell
process.

Try:
1> self().
2> ets:new(testtable,[set,named_table,private]).
3> ets:insert(testtable, bar).
4> self().

You will notice that the shell's pid's are different at (1) and (4).

If you put a "catch" in front of the ets:insert at (3) it will catch the
exception and the shell will not crash.

Regards,
Trevor