[erlang-questions] : : Broken ipv6 behavior?

Fredrik Thulin ft@REDACTED
Wed Apr 9 14:53:08 CEST 2008

Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:21:37AM -0700, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Raimo Niskanen
>> <raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:
>>>  That it does not work on new Linuxes is a known issue.
>>>  Linux took another path than Solaris and removed the
>>>  IPv6 resolver functions inet_gethost_native uses.
>>>  And that is something that has been on our todo
>>>  list for a long time now. But since no paying customer
>>>  needs it it remains a not high enough priority.
>> Is there any technical argument for using getipnodebyname in favor of
>> getaddrinfo?  Would a patch to inet_gethost to use the latter instead
>> be accepted?
>
> If I recall correctly we already got a patch for that,
> but it broke some test cases. I think there were
> problems with how to find alias names for the generated
> hostent structs that was not supported with
> getaddrinfo. So there were things to consider...
>
> A new patch would be nice, or to get the old
> again. Otherwise I would have to find the old
> by myself.

Even though it was not me who wrote it (credits due to Love
Hörnquist-Åstrand) I was the one who sent you the getaddrinfo patch, in
private e-mail on 2005-01-13 (so I would actually object to saying it is
a problem with "new Linuxes" - a Linux from 2005 isn't exactly new in my
book, just like Erlang R10B-3 isn't even close to being a new release of
Erlang).

I attached the patch again, but yes - it broke some of your test cases.

 From what I can recall the problem was with the h_aliases in hostent
structs. When you used getipnodebyname() on Solaris, you would get
aliases from your NIS database (yuck!) that you would not get using
getaddrinfo().

/Fredrik