[erlang-questions] Vector instructions

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Apr 8 14:24:08 CEST 2008

Thomas Lindgren skrev:
> --- jm <jeffm@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Where would you recommend starting? Any good
>> references on parallel
>> vector and matrix operations/algorithms?
>
> I think Golub and Van Loan is a good point to get
> going, though the field itself is vast. Also, take a
> look at Fortran 90:s array syntax and how it is
> compiled. (Matlab is probably similar.)
>
> By the way, I also think it's quite feasible to
> compile a suitable Erlang-like sublanguage (with
> aligned binaries) into native-speed, native-space C
> code, including the use of SIMD/vector intrinsics.
>
> (Integration with the regular Erlang VM is another
> issue :-)
>
> Best,
> Thomas

While we're at it, I'd like to throw in a wish to
be able to handle real-time manipulation of media
streams in Erlang (with good performance, that is).

Think, for example, transcoding of video streams.
Given Erlang's reputation as a language for telecoms,
I don't think this is too far-fetched, even if it
were to require some special syntax.

(Just doing SIMD operations on binaries seemed too easy. ;)

BR,
Ulf W