[erlang-questions] Not an Erlang fan

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Sep 24 09:08:24 CEST 2007

--- dda <headspin@REDACTED> wrote:

> But what he is parsing here is plain text, not XML

Indeed, but the XML example shows that parsing as such
is not inherently slower in Erlang than in Ruby. The
point is that simple examples and benchmarks may not
generalize to broader statements.

> -- and his
> complaints are about i/o and regexes, which are
> indeed slow.

I wouldn't say I/O is inherently slow; for example,
reading large chunks of files into memory with
file:read_file and similar functions is fast enough.

Regexps are currently not a strength and could be sped
up. (Robert, here's your time to shine :-)

Also, when I consider the use of io:get_line/2, it
seems it may be "too easy" to choose a suboptimal
solution to some problems. That can be a problem in
situations like this, when the user base grows quickly
outside the core community and the new users thus
can't rely on helpful insiders.

Best,
Thomas