[erlang-questions] gen_server call and reply (Matthias Lang)

Ingela Anderton Andin ingela@REDACTED
Tue Sep 18 13:09:57 CEST 2007

Hi again!

Humm ...  I might have been a bit quick in my last response. I agree
that letting the gen_server:call
return a  reference and later sending a response  including that
reference is
a good strategy when you have the situation that you want some job done
and you want to
know when it is ready, but until then you can keep on doing other
things. But if you
need to wait for the job to be done I do not think that you should  get
an answer from gen_server:call/2 and then have do an explicit do receive
on the  return value from gen_srever:call/2 .

Regards Ingela - OTP team