[erlang-questions] Driver Threading & Message Sending

Benjamin Tolputt bjt@REDACTED
Tue Sep 18 02:48:52 CEST 2007

More questions though this time (while related to Stand Along Erlang, it
also applies to general Erlang driver stuff I am developing).

The benefit of Erlang which are pushing me to evangelize it to the game
development crew is the high concurrency and CPU utilization on
multi-core machines (i.e. it's SMP capabilities). To this end, they
asked if it would be possible for them to run their physics & AI modules
in a separate started up in a Erlang driver. This seems quite possible,
but I wanted to know a couple of things about how threading & drivers
are allowed to operate.

Let's say that a driver is created for the AI engine utilizing whatever
techniques they desire for this. Let's also assume that they are running
this in a permanent loop (the classic "while (true)" thing) with input
coming in from Erlang through the driver interface and sending messages
back out the same way.

Is it safe for the driver code to call the "driver_output" function from
a thread other than one in which the emulator "calls into" the driver
(i.e. is it possible to call driver_output from a thread not started by
the emulator)? If not, what is the common method used to get output
generated by the driver independent of queries (i.e. a call to the
drv_output driver callback) from Erlang? Polling for output from the
driver seems a bit strange given the message-centric method of
everything else, but I haven't been this low-level with Erlang before...

Regards,
B.J.Tolputt