[erlang-questions] Stand Alone Erlang - Bare Bones Executable

Benjamin Tolputt bjt@REDACTED
Tue Sep 18 02:48:49 CEST 2007

G'day All,

Yes, I am still pursuing the "Stand Along Erlang" thread I started
before, but am actually looking at implementation details (rather than
just complaining it is not available). I am hoping I can ask some
questions here that may be obvious to those commonly knee-deep in the
code, but are a puzzle to me.

Firstly, there is a few "SAE" files throughout the official OTP
repository. I am assuming these are remnants of the Joe Armstrong Stand
Alone Erlang. Are these still updated? I am assuming from earlier posts
on this topic that they aren't, so should they be removed from the
source code?

Secondly, is there a way to build a single "self contained" executable
which statically links in the beam library or will I have to perform
makefile surgery to get this? I am looking at creating a self-contained
EXE where the only "external" files are those required by Erlang modules
/ applications (i.e. "bin" directory will only have the one file - the
Erlang Emulator/VM Executable).

On that note, how easy would it be to compile a real bare bones Erlang
that has no need for the OpenSSL & Libiconv DLL's?

Regards,
B.J.Tolputt