[erlang-questions] Stand Alone Erlang or Equivalent

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Wed Sep 5 21:52:35 CEST 2007

On 9/5/07, Toby DiPasquale <codeslinger@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Bob Ippolito <bob@REDACTED> wrote:
> > I don't buy it. I never see files distributed online as a single
> > ".exe" file unless it's an installer. More often it's either as a zip
> > or a msi, either of which will carry multi-file payloads just fine.
>
> IME, most of those times, the ".exe" is a CAB file with a
> self-extracting header, anyway, which is another multi-file archive
> format from Microsoft. Almost all non-trivial applications today have
> multiple files that need to be distributed and installed, so I'm
> personally with Bob on this one. On the other hand, I do have to say
> that py2exe is great and easy to work with, especially for a
> non-Windows guy like myself. Having something like this for Erlang
> wouldn't suck.

Yeah, I agree that py2exe is nice. I wrote the equivalent of py2exe
for Mac OS X (py2app). However, I don't think that py2exe is really
measurably better now that it produces a single exe than it used to be
when it produced a three (or more) file distribution (bare minimum of
app exe, python dll, library zip). I know that people constantly asked
for the single file feature until it eventually happened, but I really
don't see very many other single file apps.

-bob