[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Oct 12 11:25:40 CEST 2007

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:19 AM, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) wrote:
>
>> Joel R took my implementation and patched mnesia to use the
>> Amazon EC3 as a mnesia backend.
>> [...]
>> I didn't try my hack with BDB, but rather implemented a few
>> easier plugin types (a disk_log-style table and a file system
>> mount point).
>
> I have other fun things to do (OCaml/Erlang bridge anyone?)
> but would be willing to do the work if there's proper sponsorship.
> It wold not be too hard, just somewhat tricky.

Of course with _proper_ sponsorship, we should at least make
an attempt at a proper back-end API? Something that could
become a supported part of Mnesia.

The rdbms code is open to critique, as it is Open Source.
The Synapse code and your code aren't, but there is
certainly a lot of experience to bring on board when
aiming for a really solid solution.

The rdbms solution simply copied an internal API, and
added a few functions to control schema changes and
table loading. This shouldn't be too hard to support, but
it may be too limiting, besides the fact that it doesn't
condone errors in the plugin code (OTOH, the update takes
place after commit, so errors really should be considered
fatal, I think). Perhaps some pre-commit hook is needed?

BR,
Ulf W