[erlang-questions] Forget Erlang on the Java VM. More language on the Erlang VM are needed!

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 22:25:42 CET 2007

--- Marten Feldtmann <itlists@REDACTED> wrote:

> Thomas Lindgren schrieb:
> > Alteon had the right mindset too: they saw Erlang
> not
> > as a risk but as a competitive advantage. So, in
> > essence: try to skip the risk-averse ...
> >
> > Best,
> > Thoma
> The same sentence can be heard in the Smalltalk
> community
> again and again - but this is not really interesting
> in the
> mainstream and it does not produce jobs very often.
>
> I've heard a talk about a SAP group creating a
> working prototype
> using Smalltalk for a problem in within one week
> where other groups
> in SAP were working several month on it - without a
> solution.
>
> Actually after getting the solution with several
> customers they
> gave it to another group in SAP and to programmers
> in india to
> reimplement the job in Java again.

/.../
> I actually think, that success of languages are
> based either on
> enormous financial power/interests (Microsoft, IBM,
> SUN) - or
> on other issues like c syntax, flat source code
> managements like
> CVS or Subversion, Eclipse - actually we have to
> deal with
> programmers, which are mostly human beings. Life can
> be very simple.

In that case, don't worry about the issue. It has
already been decided.

(If it's any consolation, Erlang had about the same
experience inside of Ericsson. It's a big enterprise
thing, I guess.)

Best,
Thomas