[erlang-questions] Erlang vs Clojure

Michael Regen michael.regen@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 14:14:47 CET 2007

And if you manage to write an Erlang => Mono CLI compilier there is no or
not much additional work involved to also support the Microsoft CLI.

On the other side according to my experience Mono shares some problems
Erlang has: Decision makers hesitate to use it. Facts or wrong
preconception? I think because they do not know it well enough.

For many problems I consider Erlang/OTP as the best thing since sliced
bread. If only it did not live in its own universe which people do not know
and understand.

Scala and F# are sp far no comparison in my eyes even if they offered a
stable distribution mechanism as good as the one in Erlang since they lack
all OTP functionality.

OK, where is the person who implements a Erlang to JVM and CLI compiler?
Unfortunately I don't have the faintest idea what it means to implement such
a compiler. Certainly just a weekend job. ;)) At least it must be possible
since both, JVM and CLI are supposed to be turing complete.

I guess the argument that Erlang's performance will certainly be lower under
another VM is right. But won't the advantages (access to .NET or Java,
better selling environment) outperform performance penalties? Sell the stuff
with low performance, have your foot in the door and if performance becomes
critical, use the original Erlang VM.
Oh yes, did I mention that I want it all? ;)

Cheers,
your today-not-to-be-taken-serious Michael