[erlang-questions] separating application from gen server

Ludovic Coquelle lcoquelle@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 14:14:27 CET 2007

Usually I let the application get the config variables, and start the
gen_server with the good params. So that only application manage its config
(through a dedicated module, such that it is easy to move the config from
env to DB or other file ... I did need to parse a ini file once :( ).
Something in the line of:

myapp.erl:
start() ->
  ThingCfg = config:server_of_things(),
  thingserver:start_link(ThingCfg).

config.erl:
server_of_things() ->
  {ok, Cfg} = application:get_value(things_key),
  Cfg.

thingserver.erl:
start_link(Args) ->
   gen_server:start_link({local,?MODULE},?MODULE,Args,[]).