[erlang-questions] Erlang vs Clojure

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 11:49:14 CET 2007

On 28 Nov 2007, at 16:31, Alex Arnon wrote:
> I remember seeing some posts about inroads being made with regard
> to realtime performance on JVMs lately, on Lambda the Ultimate.
> On the other hand, listening to Software Engineering Radio ( this
> one I think), the expert being interviewed said that Java is
> practically nonexistent in the realtime space. So... grains of salt
> with everything, as usual... :)
I would like pointers to realtime any-VM stuff. For me, that is the
last major piece of my jigsaw.
Were you thinking of the IBM paper: http://domino.research.ibm.com/
comm/research_people.nsf/pages/dgrove.ecoop07.html
which popped up at LtU as http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2393 ?
That seemed to be an impressive piece of work.

I feel realtime Java suffers from the classic 'chicken and the egg'
syndrome - process control is pretty conservative about technologies
because the systems are usually safety critical. So there will be few/
no volunteers to use a realtime-anything-new until some others have
successfully deployed. This will take a few years due to the
deployment environment, e.g. an oil refinery or power plant, (by
which time the hype will have died down on that technology, and
everyone will be evangelising and 'dis-ing' the next over-hyped
technology ;-)

I know *I* feel the same way about highly available and fault-
tolerant systems, and their initial implementation can be much
quicker than process control.

This inherent conservatism as systems become more critical is why, to
me, Erlang is way ahead of the field; there are real systems out
there working!

GB

PS -
I do expect the 'tweaked' versions of Java, and .NET, to become
usable*, but they have a lot of ground to cover before they catch up
to Erlang.
*usable - ill defined, and depends on many factors, some of which are
not rational ;-)