[erlang-questions] how: distributed supervision tree

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Nov 27 23:00:38 CET 2007

I would guess that what you're attempting to do is rather unusual.
While the supervisor behaviour doesn't stop you from spawning
a remote process, and it's quite possible to monitor a remote pid.

The problems occur, as you note, when the process is to be
restarted. It's not certain that the supervisor can do what it takes
to start the process (e.g. if the remote node is down), and the
supervisor is not designed to take these problems into account.

It is more commonplace to use the distributed application controller
for redundancy logic, keeping the supervision trees together on each
node.

BR,
Ulf W