[erlang-questions] My biggest beef with Erlang

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Nov 27 14:37:57 CET 2007

As you say it's pretty easy to analyse a function for side effects -
we did this years ago. The problem
is rather that we want guards to be viewed as an extension of pattern
matching so we can guarantee
that we can produce efficient code for pattern matching.

Suppose we have a nice set of guards

     foo(...) when G1 -> ...
     foo(...) when G2 -> ...
     foo(...) when Gn -> ...

and we allow only a user defined guard (Ug) somewhere in the middle of
all of this

     foo(...) when G1 -> ...
     foo(...) when G2 -> ...
     foo(...) when Gn; Ug ->
     foo(...) when Gn -> ...

This would complete destroy all our well thought out pattern matching
optimisations that take place
when compiling foo.

The point of having a limited set of fixed guard tests is we can
analyse these at compile time and generate
an efficient matching tree.

If you want to extend the control structures with your own guards and
roll your own syntactic constructs use
funs and simulate monads or whatever - that's what funs are for.

/Joe Armstrong