[erlang-questions] test driven development

Michael Campbell michael.campbell@REDACTED
Sun Nov 25 15:57:25 CET 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 9:37 AM, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:
> 2007/11/25, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED>:
> >
> > That's one reason why it took longer to build
> > a considerable automated test suite. Nowadays, it /is/ considerable,
> > with well over 10,000 test cases, most automated (as far as I know).
>
> One problem with having test suites this large is that they become
> a maintenance problem: whenever you consider changing an interface,
> you have to consider which parts of nearly a million lines of test code
> use that interface...

You say that like it's bad.  Too, exhaustive tests will quickly tell
you which of those 1e6 lines of code are actually affected.

But point taken; yes, maintaining code is hard, and tests *are* code,
so the more you have, the more maintenance is required.