[erlang-questions] Erlang vs Clojure

Pierpaolo Bernardi olopierpa@REDACTED
Sun Nov 25 02:32:33 CET 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 12:29 AM, Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:
> Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:

> I can give you many reasons why macros in Erlang suck but the "macros
> stand out in the language" argument comes pretty low on that list. I am
> not so convinced that Lisp-like macros is what Erlang desperately needs.
> But then again, disagreements such as these are exactly the reason we
> have so many different and diverse programming languages...

IMHO, lisp-like macros were most useful in lisp at the times when lisp was
not good at higher order functions. That is, in the pre common lisp era.

Modern functional programming languages have real functions, which provide
an expressive and clean way to express any sort of control structures.

Macros, even the hygienic variants of scheme, are a source of unjustified
complexity and obfuscation.  They are dinosaurs from an ancient past.

Just say no.

Cheers
Pierpaolo (mostly a Lisper and Schemer for the last 25 years)