[erlang-questions] Erlang vs Clojure

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@REDACTED
Sat Nov 24 15:22:43 CET 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 6:19 PM, Torbjorn Tornkvist <tobbe@REDACTED> wrote:
> Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
> >     I would see the benefit of a Lisp-syntax-based Erlang version --
> > but compiled to beam... Just see the recent posts on macros and other
> > Lisp functionalities.
>
> Why not implement a Scheme to Erlang-Core compiler then?
>
> Just focus on the sequential parts and let concurrency
> hide inside modules written in Erlang. I did some
> experiments like this with a Haskell syntax:
>
> http://blog.tornkvist.org/blog.yaws?id=1190846785574003
>
> Cheers, Tobbe
>

> >     Ciprian.
> >
> >     P.S.: When I say Lisp I mean the whole Lisp family, but I would
> > incline to Scheme.
> >

> > On Nov 23, 2007 12:48 AM, Robin Bhattacharyya <robi123@REDACTED> wrote:
> >> This is a quick qualitative comparison of Erlang and Clojure:
> >>
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/2a2b24ffef5d1631
> >>
> >> Does anyone see the benefit of a Lispy version of Erlang on the JVM?
> >>
> >> Robin

    This would be the basic idea... But for now I lack the time to do
it... (And I would also have to study the bytecode specification.)

    Just a some minor complaints (so they can be ignored :) I would
gladly use Erlang for most projects I am working on -- which usually
reside on server side -- if:
    -- I would have a nice macro system that blends into the normal
syntax -- for example in Common Lisp 'or' is implemented as a macro,
but you don't notice it...
    -- I would have proper support for strings, for example an object
that resembles binary but which is specially built for string
processing.
    -- I would have proper / mature / stable / feature-full libraries
for all kind of activities (database access, XML processing, etc.)
    But as I have seen from this group Erlang still has problems in
this areas...

    Ciprian.