[erlang-questions] DTrace for Erlang

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Thu Nov 15 11:51:01 CET 2007

Henry

> You should probably have a look at the trace
> functionality built in in Erlang(the trace bif with
> the dbg library). That extended with a few bits and
>  bobs would probably provide you with most of you need.
Thanks for the reply.
Would you please help me? What are the "few bits and bobs"?

I can see that the facilities of erlang:trace work within Erlang (but
I have some questions to come), but I have been unable to understand
how I get an end-to-end flow (e.g. user-oriented use-case) which
passes through e.g. non-Erlang web servers, through Erlang and my
Erlang-based services into none-Erlang services like databases via
the OS kernel.

Specifically, how would I trace between Erlang applications, none-
Erlang applications, and the kernel using those "few bits and bobs"
so that I get a low-impact on the production system? (I am assuming I
will need to filter-down the information so that I don't impact the
production system too much).

Detail
--------
I can understand people here may feel that I am under-constraining
the problem, but I expect projects to encompass a mixed set of
technologies. I expect to have to deal with end-to-end use-cases for
*all* parts of a system. I expect those use-cases will not be
replaced with end-to-end Erlang in a single change-over event. At the
Erlang User Conference, several examples were described like the
Travel Angel, which will implement this mixed technology pattern, and
they are non-trivial and so I think they'd benefit from tool support.

I do expect many of those change over events to come with some
problems. To increase the chances of success, I would like tools
which will help customers (and me!) deal with those mixed-technology
environments after deployment, in production. I would go a bit
further, and suggest in many cases, co-existance of Erlang and legacy
technology is critical to enable transition and uptake of Erlang to
be practical.

DTrace is a tool which can be made to work across those other
technologies. I am willing to invest the effort to learn about other
comparable, alternatives for a *mixed* technology environment which
includes Erlang, but I don't see how that works right now.

Erlang is) need to co-exist with 'legacy' technologies to increase
the opportunities to introduce the improved (Erlang) technologies at
tolerable levels of risk in a wide range of situations. I think
supporting production tooling (like DTrace), for end-to-end
production analysis, debugging and tuning is a facet of co-existance.

Garry