[erlang-questions] idea: service pack one

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Nov 14 12:27:43 CET 2007

Hello,

Le 13 nov. 07 à 22:27, Joe Armstrong a écrit :

> 5 +++ bundle ejabberd (or yaws) in a standard configuration that ships
> with Erlang.
>          I talked to Mickael R. about this - if we shipped ejabberd
> with every Erlang
>          we could easily get tens of thousands of ejabberd servers up
> and running in
>         the twinkling of an eye.

Yes. I am still thinking about this one.
Another approach might be to provide a central ejabberd for those
Erlang nodes to coordinate. We would integrate only an EXMPP library
in Erlang.

> 6 ++++ fix BIFs for regexp, searching binaries etc - so people stop
> winging

I agree with this one too.

> There are probably more things I could add - feel free to add you pet
> annoyance that can be easily
> fixed and we'll put it into service pack one.

One thing that might be usefull too might be a movable garbage
collector like the Eiffel one.
As there been some experimentation on this one ?
The rational behind this is:
- Erlang is a long running process.
- If the Erlang application has large variation in memory consumption
over time (both increase and decrease), it can generate memory
fragmentation, that is increased by the fact that Erlang are long
running process.
- Defragmenting the memory would help for this long running application.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/