[erlang-questions] idea: service pack one

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Nov 14 09:50:26 CET 2007

Hi!

On Nov 13, 2007 10:27 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
> 9 ++++ interface to flash using flex 2. Solve the GUI problem once and
> for all as follows
>       repeat after me: client = flash in the browser, server = erlang.
> Intermediate protocol = flash AMF

I am not sure if it's the best idea to be locked to a specific
protocol and toolkit.

An Erlang application can be build completely ui agnostic, a "perfect"
business layer that only handles business data and messages. The
clients can be various: command-line or gui, desktop or browser based.

Now of course, we would like to be able to work with the ui from
Erlang too, instead of switching to a different environment. I feel
the proper way would be to have a generic library with  pluggable
backends (X11, gtknode, gtk-server, wxwidgets or whatever). The
question is how to fit a generic API on these wildly different
backends, preferably without sacrificing anything important and
possibly even being able to switch backends more or less seamlessly.

I think something in the lines of ex11 could work. We will have
inheritance soon ;-) so widgets can be written much more easily. But
there's still a lot of work to do.

best regards,
Vlad