[erlang-questions] Book: Hardcore Erlang

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Sat Nov 10 00:36:40 CET 2007

Zvi wrote:
> I would like to see full real-life example of how to deploy OpenPoker on AWS
> (EC2, S3) and full life-cycle management of such a system:
> * initial deployment
> * monitoring and management
> * handling Mnesia persistence and distribution
> * hot code upgrades

I second this. There's a bit out there now on developing in erlang, but
very little on deployment. May be a section entitled "Moving from
development to deployment" covering such things as tightening things
down, automated start up of the various components/application, node
startup, getting it to play nice with unix startup scripts. Actually, on
that note I've been thinking it might be useful to have a node start up
script and separate application[1] start up scripts for a System V style
startup, ie, to would look something like

  starting erlang node red...          ok
  starting erlang node blue...         ok
  starting app1 on node red...         ok
  starting app1 on node blue...        ok
  starting app2 on node red...         ok
  starting app3 on node blue..         ok

etc. This might make erlang integrate better with unix (on other OSes)
and not appear so isolated/strange to the everyday system admin which
would in turn make addoption easier by lowering the learning curve from
the admin's perspective.

[1] By application here I mean a "macro-application" which may be made
up of one or more erlang or "micro-" applications.

Jeff.