[erlang-questions] QUestions about erlang

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz glpunzi@REDACTED
Tue Nov 6 14:50:40 CET 2007

Hi again,

El 06/11/2007, a las 14:27, Christian S escribió:

> I can hear how other subscribers are tapping away their mail response
> to you, so prepare your mailbox to be erlang-questions-dotted

Yes, mail rules created :D

>> - Is erlang fast?
>
> It is not good as good at number crunching as ocaml or low level
> imperative languages. It does however build fast systems, see this
> slide:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/Arbow/comparing-cpp-and-erlang-for-
> motorola-telecoms-software/
>
> Also, erlang is very succinct and quick coded. That's an important way
> to be fast.

Well, this questions was stupid. I know Wings, and is great in
perfomance I think.

>> - How is the persistence/database connection?
>
> My opinion: They work, but they're not to impress with.
> Erlang has a database called mnesia that provide much higher
> transaction rates than links to external dbs, mnesia also support
> distribution over several nodes.

And, on the other hand, you can access too to postgresql, mysql?

>> - What about graphical interface for the apps? and web frontend?
>
> You can create desktop guis using the 'gs' application which is back
> ended in Tcl/Tk. This will not impress anyone. There is 'gtknode', a
> c-node, a way for erlang to communicate with a c program running GTK+
> to exchange events. I dont have experience with it, but it seems great
> and you can build the GUI part in Glade.

interesting. Some documentation about this?

> There is soon a number of web server alternatives popping up. Yaws is
> the popular one so far, but I think that might change now that other
> commercially used and tested web servers are going open source.

Yes, but not all webservers accepts erlang.

>> - PocketPC, Palm support?
>
> There is an ARM port of erlang, might require some assembly.

Is not important at the moment.

>> - What about the community for support?
>
> Ridiculously good. If I dont get an answer in freenode #erlang within
> minutes I get a very good answer from this list in an hour. If it is
> during swedish office hours you often get support from the author
> directly. It's good to be small.

Yes, in the smalltalk community happens the same.

>> - Spanish erlang-developers?
>
> I can't say I have noticed any larger group of spanish erlang
> developers.

Ok.

 From the point of view of a newbie, I see erlang as a lenguaje for
great scale apps. What do you think about use it for a small company
thath develop small software, like a POS, or something similar?

Thanks for your answers :D