[erlang-questions] Looking for info on hot code updates

Roberto Saccon rsaccon@REDACTED
Thu Nov 1 12:43:44 CET 2007

On 11/1/07, David Mitchell <monch1962@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Pure and simple - I'm looking for a pointer to info on doing hot code
> updates (i.e. update code while a server is running) in Erlang.  I've
> seen lots of talk about it, but nothing on:
> - how to do it

if you use Emakefiles, then do in the shell make:all([load]) that
compiles and reloads modules

the actual function is: code:load_file

> - pros/cons/caveats/assumptions
> - what happens when that code is currently being executed by a running process

There are callbacks, so you can define what will happen, take a look
at the OTP server behavior

> If there's some magic combination of keywords that'll get me this info
> in Google, I can't work out what it is.  It's probably covered
> extensively at www.erlang.org under the Documentation link, but I
> can't find anything there either (probably just looking in the wrong
> place).
>
> Sorry if the request sounds pathetic, but I'm just confused why I
> can't find this info when pretty much everything else on Erlang is
> easy to find.  Maybe it's just a slow brain day for me today
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave M.

Roberto Saccon
http://rsaccon.com