[erlang-questions] some language changes

Mike Berrow mberrow1@REDACTED
Mon May 21 17:53:32 CEST 2007

> 1. What you type in the shell and what you type in a module/escript
> should be the same

Thanks so much for considering this,  Joe.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, coming from ruby, I was
a bit startled that it didn't work that way.

I've found that the ability to free-form drop (or type) chunks of  code
into the shell (exactly as would be used in practice) has been great
for quick experiments and prototyping. It also eases the language
learning curve.

Bob mentioned some emacs trick to get the same effect in a few
keystrokes. Nice, but I'm not currently up for another try to learn
emacs (very happy with Textpad for now).
I think transparency here would produce a big payoff.

Actually, isn't the Lisp REPL also this way?

BTW, I'm very much enjoying working my way through your book.

-- Mike Berrow