[erlang-questions] ets:lookup() versus mnesia:ets()

Paulo Sérgio Almeida psa@REDACTED
Thu May 10 16:59:04 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I know this is a sacrilege, breaking all rules of abstraction, assuming
some internals of the implementation, bla, bla, bla, ... ;)

But ... suppose that it is important to squeeze the last bit of
performance and, in a scenario where I wanted to do reads on a
non-replicated disc_copies mnesia table, of records that are only
updated by the same process (even though other processes update other
records), and where I use:

mnesia:ets(fun()-> mnesia:read({Table, Key}) end)

and therefore have the lowest access context / isolation level available
and I am happy with it. Is there anything that could go wrong if I
instead used:

ets:lookup(Table, Key)

This would save building the closure, and the tests that read must make
to figure out the access context, and it can be twice as fast in a set
table (I measured 2 microseconds instead of 4 on my notebook;
mnesia:dirty_read is slower, taking 5 microseconds).

So, is there any problem switching from mnesia:ets to ets:lookup in this
scenario? Has such a thing crossed anyone's mind?

Paulo Almeida