[erlang-questions] Service platform (longish rant)

Hal Snyder hal@REDACTED
Wed May 9 17:06:27 CEST 2007

Another observation about pipes.

One of our recent subversive initiatives has been an attempt to
institute automated testing in a fairly mechanized way using dejagnu
and expect and such a la gcc and gdb.

The plan is for the toolchain, which already embraces automake, to
spit out a testframe for each new project (e.g. each new Erlang
application), making it irresistable for programmers to write/
maintain the testsuite as they go.

I naively thought the job would be technically simple as long as you
have a usable text interface for all the major inputs and outputs.
Just make sure any GUI-type programmers give you a text alternative,
etc. Expect may be a bit crufty, but it excels at managing multiple
dialogues, dealing with Unix process groups and pseudoterminals and
line disciplines and such.

Wrong. In complex systems, connections among processes under test and
test drivers have an annoying tendency to plug or stall, and do so
differently on different runs of the same setup. We have to be a lot
more careful about issues of flow control and determinism.

I now think of three major components to any data connection where I
used to think there were only two:
- data format
- protocol / state machine
- flow control

And I have a new respect for Erlang distribution, where
interconnection is clean and effortless.

Hal