[erlang-questions] learning Erlang: factoring primes

Anthony Shipman als@REDACTED
Fri May 4 11:32:20 CEST 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 18:59, Kostis Sagonas wrote:
> Anthony Shipman wrote:
> > On Friday 04 May 2007 18:07, Kostis Sagonas wrote:
> >> Please, do not use == for arithmetic comparisons with integers (*).
> >> It's brain damage from C.
> >>
> >> Learn to use =:= instead.  It's more kosher.
> >
> > Is there a performance difference?
>
> In emulated code, the performance difference, if any, it is quite small.
> In native code, the performance difference is currently also small,
> although this might change soon (if we partly inline =:=).
>
> But is it not an issue of performance; it's a problem in the semantics
> of the == operator.

Please elaborate. The erlang manual is terse. For integer arguments I can see
no difference in semantics between the two.

--
Anthony Shipman                    Mamas don't let your babies
als@REDACTED                   grow up to be outsourced.