[erlang-questions] design desicions

Aidan Kane aidankane@REDACTED
Wed May 2 02:26:42 CEST 2007

I'm another newcomer to Erlang that's having a few difficulties
understanding how one goes about designing a system from scratch.

I've been trying to think about it in terms of rebuilding the system I
currently work on which allows users to purchase vehicles via a web
interface. At any one time there can easily be 30,000+ vehicles
available for sale within the system. obviously the standard rules
like two people can't purchase a vehicle at the same time apply.

should each vehicle be a process (seems like a lot of processes - very
few of whom would ever be active at the same time)? if so, how would
the processes be created? would a process run at system start up to
create them all?

would each active user be a process as well?

Sorry that the question is so general. I'm just having a lot of
trouble understanding where to start with all this.

Thanks.
Aidan.