[erlang-questions] Design question

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue May 1 22:34:02 CEST 2007

2007/5/1, Jim Menard <jim.menard@REDACTED>:

> (Actually, that's a question I have about Erlang's design: it seems to
> me that inboxes are the only place in Erlang's internals that has to
> worry about mutex locking, because incoming messages have to be added
> to the inbox safely. Am I correct?)

No, actually,  there are  lots of  places where mutexes are needed.
For example, it is possible to call process_info(Pid), and extract
meta data on a process. The information includes the contents of
the process dictionary, the reduction counter (used by the scheduler),
the heap size, message queue, etc. Of course, all of these items
need to be protected by mutexes, then.

BR,
Ulf W