[erlang-questions] TypEr [WAS: Re: Erlang/OTP R11B-4 has been released]

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Wed Mar 28 22:37:06 CEST 2007

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * What's the story with typer? I suppose it's still unsupported, since
> it's not documented. I can get it print annotations with --show, but
> it doesn't create any annotation file otherwise (on Windows)

As far as I know, on Unix machines, typer works OK when used with the
--show or --show-exported options.

At this point, I would not recommend any other way of using typer. Not
because the other ways do not work, but more because the type domain
(i.e. the type annotations typer generates) is a moving target as we
refine the type analysis. So, if I were a user, I would be reluctant to
add to my files type annotations which might change in the next release.

It's also on our TODO list (albeit near its bottom) to see if there are
any incompatibilities between the types that typer generates and edoc
understands.  On this point, we welcome user feedback & experiences.

We've not tested typer on Windows; we do not have access to such an
environment.  However, if there are any problems on that platform (*),
they should be relatively easy to fix once reported to us by a user who
  is also willing to help.

Kostis

(*) Of course, I mean of the related to typer kind...
     I am sure there are others.