[erlang-questions] Executing Erlang on a FPGA (Re: How small could an Erlang emulator be?)

Roger Larsson roger.larsson@REDACTED
Sat Mar 17 02:29:34 CET 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 20:42, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 15-Mar-07, at 3:02 PM, Vance Shipley wrote:
> > I recall that someone made the suggestion on this list that
> > the Crusoe processor, being softwaree definable, could be
> > turned into an Erlang processor.  It's just software. :)
>
> Or soft CPU on FPGA.

Yes, I have also thought about that.
Would be an interesting project!

[Lots of interesting research areas
 - what "CPU" model to use:
	 JAM, beam, Icode[1], special purpose, extended general purpose[2]
 - hardware assisted memory allocation
 	+ write queue with single assignment optimizations and reference counting?
 - hardware assisted garbage collection
 - hardware assisted operating systems
	see http://www.xilinx.com/publications/magazines/emb_02/xc_pdf/emb02_all.pdf
	and/or "Programmerbara kretsar" ISBN 91-44-03713-9
	Sierra has been sold to Prevas - see
http://www.prevas.com/productdevelopment/products/prevassierra.4.7ebfd4a210f9150c2bd80002274.html
 - hardware assisted serialization (for communicating with the host CPU)
 - hardware assisted message sending (scatter gather DMA but data itself
contains the links)
 - ...
]
Who does this already?

/RogerL

[1] Icode
http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200309/msg00110.html

[2] Extended general purpose

Generate Sparc executable, add whatever instruction needed. Possible since Sun
have released their 64-bit SPARC V9 as GPL http://opensparc-t1.sunsource.net/

"The OpenSPARC T1 processor contains eight SPARC® processor cores, which each
have full hardware support for four threads. Each SPARC core has an
instruction cache, a data cache, and a fully associative instruction and data
translation lookaside buffers (TLB). The eight SPARC cores are connected
through a crossbar to an on-chip unified level 2 cache (L2-cache)."

Difficult to fit on a FPGA, but there is hope :-)

http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/s1_core/overview (modified T1)
"one 64-bit SPARC v9 core (capable of running up to 4 concurrent threads)"
no cache, but with wishbone interface...