[erlang-questions] windows question

Surindar Sivanesan surindar.shanthi@REDACTED
Tue Mar 6 10:20:16 CET 2007

In windows, it is better to have a shortcut of erlang in your desktop.
You can compile the .erl file in two ways
1. Right click on the shortcut -> Properties -> Give the path of .erl file
in the "Start in " text box. Then open the shell and compile the module.
2. Open erlang shell. Then change the current directory using cd("Path of
.erl file"). Then compile the module.

I hope this answers the queries.

On 3/6/07, Dmitrii 'Mamut' Dimandt <dmitriid@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> As far as I remember (I'm on Linux now), I always used the Windows
> installer from erlang.org.
>
> I guess you need to manually add erl to your path variable in order to get
> access to it from anywhere in the system (i don't think the installer does
> that). "My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables"
>
> Once that's done, you can start erl from any directory. The compiled beam
> file will then be placed in the directory where the source file is.
>
> Joe Armstrong wrote:
>
> Hi Guys - help needed.
>
> A question came up on the errata list for the Erlang book - it was
> about windows use
> I'll quote the question below - I'm only an occasional windows user
> so I don't know the best answer to this.
>
> Me - I use mingw and msys (I forget) - and a erl.bat file that aliases erlc
> but I have no idea if this is the best way to proceed.
>
> What is "best practice"????
>
> Thanks
>
> /Joe
>
> Here are the two posts
>
> (from http://books.pragprog.com/titles/jaerlang/errata)
>

> #6533: There should be some description on where to put modules such
> as math4.erl once it is downloaded so that c(math4). works without an
> error.--Stephen Freitag
>
> #6524: > Start your favorite text editor and enter the following
>

> into a file called shop.erl.
>

> This to me is almost always the hardest entry point for anyone into a
> language. Start your text editor where? From the same directory as
> Cean? If you do that it doesn't compile because the Cean start script
> immediately moves to the bin directory (at least under windows):
>

> cd erlang/erts*/windows/bin
> start werl.exe
>
> In order for it to compile under the shell I've got to place the file
> in Erlang's bin directory. Not exactly the place where you want to be
> storing your src and beam files.--Chris Baker
>
> #end

with regards,
S.Surindar