[erlang-questions] windows question

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Mar 6 09:39:10 CET 2007

Hi Guys - help needed.

A question came up on the errata list for the Erlang book - it was
about windows use
I'll quote the question below - I'm only an occasional windows user
so I don't know the best answer to this.

Me - I use mingw and msys (I forget) - and a erl.bat file that aliases erlc
but I have no idea if this is the best way to proceed.

What is "best practice"????

Thanks

/Joe

Here are the two posts

(from http://books.pragprog.com/titles/jaerlang/errata)

#6533: There should be some description on where to put modules such
as math4.erl once it is downloaded so that c(math4). works without an
error.--Stephen Freitag

#6524: > Start your favorite text editor and enter the following
> into a file called shop.erl.

This to me is almost always the hardest entry point for anyone into a
language. Start your text editor where? From the same directory as
Cean? If you do that it doesn't compile because the Cean start script
immediately moves to the bin directory (at least under windows):

> cd erlang/erts*/windows/bin
> start werl.exe

In order for it to compile under the shell I've got to place the file
in Erlang's bin directory. Not exactly the place where you want to be
storing your src and beam files.--Chris Baker

#end