[erlang-questions] I need to call unexported functions from the erlang shell

Olivier Sambourg olivier.sambourg@REDACTED
Fri Jun 15 11:52:03 CEST 2007

Hi,

Can someone explain to me why the following "procedure" isn't sufficient?

- compile your erlang sources normally, place the resulting .beam files in
your code path (application-vsn/ebin)
- compile the same erlang sources with the +export_all flag, place the
resulting .beam files outside of your code path (application-vsn/ebin-debug)
- run your application using the production beam files until the need arises
to use unexported functions in the shell
- in the shell, change your code path to application-vsn/ebin-debug
(code:replace_path/2)
- load the module(s) you want to use (l(module)). The loaded beam is now the
one from ebin-debug/
- do whatever you need to do
- change the code path back to application-vsn/ebin
- load the production version of the modules you had to debug
- back to normal again

I admit I haven't fully tested this, but I fail to see why it would not work
(as long as your application supports code loading...)
Please enlighten me :)

Regards,

Olivier