[erlang-questions] Killer Erlang tools

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Tue Jun 12 23:02:33 CEST 2007

On 6/12/07, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:
> > After I posted, I wondered if I'd misread your mail, and you were
> > actually planning a platform independent core with a fancy OS X-
> > optimised Cocoa version. But apparently I did not...
> >
> > Doesn't this seriously limit the market - or if non-commercial,
> > "audience" - for your tool? Which means it's not going to do the
> > Erlang platform any favours either, if that was your aim.
>
> It looks like Safari is now ported to Windows and thus there is a port
> of Cocoa. I don't have any more details, but it would be
> interesting...

There has been a port of Cocoa to Windows since before Apple bought
NeXT. They shelved it before Mac OS X was released. They may have used
it for Safari, but it's certainly not part of their public developer
tools.

GNUStep is a potential tool for porting Cocoa to X11 and Win32, but I
don't think they've ever released a usable AppKit for Win32.

There are plenty of potential Erlang users on OS X... there are
certainly more Mac developers than Erlang developers. They might even
be an interesting target market since they're probably already
committed to using at least one niche language (Objective-C) and just
about every Mac in production is multi-core.

I use a Mac for development, though I deploy on other platforms (not
Windows). I'm speaking about Erlang at C4, so there will probably be a
few more Mac developers interested in Erlang this summer :)

-bob