[erlang-questions] Mersenne Twister in Erlang

Tim Bates tim@REDACTED
Thu Jun 7 10:29:02 CEST 2007

Tim Bates wrote:
> roughly on a par with stdlib:random (or a bit faster) when interpreted,
> and three times faster than stdlib:random when compiled with [native].
> This corresponds to 3,000,000 random numbers per second on my 2GHz
> Athlon64. (Not to mention better quality random numbers than the
> stdlib:random module.)

Noting the recent conversation on integer arithmetic in Erlang, I tested
my random_mt module on my 32-bit Athlon machine and it performed
somewhat worse than stdlib:random, similar to the reported performance
of the MT implementation I linked in my previous post on this thread. So
I guess my hubris was a little unwarranted as most of my improvements in
performance came from running it on a 64-bit machine. :)

Tim.

--
Tim Bates
tim@REDACTED