[erlang-questions] String encoding and character set

Ludovic Coquelle lcoquelle@REDACTED
Wed Jan 17 01:59:51 CET 2007

My guess is that with a string format you can access the nth character of
the message by its position, which can be very difficult to do with a list
if the encoding support different size for different characters (and
sometimes the same character can have different encoding depending of
previous ones: contextual encoding) ... I guess the string type abstract all
that, but list is enough encoding like ASCII, UTF8. So two questions: (1) am
I clear? (2) if yes, am I right? ;)