[erlang-questions] book recomm. for distrib. systems

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02@REDACTED
Fri Feb 23 14:56:21 CET 2007

Dear All,

Apologies if this off-topic. I'd like some advice on books on
distributed computing, including, if possible with specific comments
on web-based applications and number-crunching work. Ideally, the book
should mention Erlang and possibly other approaches to concurrency and
distributed computing (Oz, Alice, Haskell ?). (And, sure enough, that
ideal book should not require a PhD in CS to work through it).

I do not want lengthy discussions of CORBA et al. and the usual
web-services, nor a focus on Java et al.

I have "Concepts, Techniques, and Models of computer programming", by
van Roy and Haridi, that do cover several of these issues over various
chapters. But I was thinking of something less tightly coupled to a
specific language, and with a heavier emphasis on applied issues.

I've seen two potential candidates. "Reliable Distributed Systems" by
Birman, "Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms" by Tannenbaum
and van Steen. But based on the readers reviews in Amazon and the book
table of contents, I think these two books are not really what I'm
looking for.

Thanks,

R.

--