[erlang-questions] dict, orddict and gb_tree

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Mon Feb 19 03:04:21 CET 2007

The plot thickens!

It wasn't difficult to generate the random numbers! Erik Stenman sent me
an easy method which works well. I have now converted my db_test module
to work on lists of keys, and added a function which can generate keys
after various rules, including random numbers.

Here are some new test results. As before all times are in millisecs and
are for a whole sequence of keys. For each sequence length I generate 5
random sequences and the results are the average of the runs.

Again these are for random sets of Size integer keys from 1 upto Size:

Size          dict             rbdict               gb_trees
           add   fet   upd    add  fet  upd    add/ent   fet   upd/ent

  10000     42    6.5   31   37.5  5.8  36.8  30.9/46     6.3 30.3/43
  20000     98   13.8   74   85.8 13.7  86    72.3/104    16    72/102
  50000    316   41    303   254  41   260     202/291    47   222/302
100000    854  112    913   573 101   619     478/674   125   549/720
200000   2435  236   2786  1387 237  1430    1090/1527  301  1274/1626
500000  18042  694  28868  4277 736  4163    3451/4659  963  3859/4836

Some comments:

1. They basically show the same trends as before.

2. There is a larger spread in the values for the tree algorithms than
for dict.

3. I can't explain why fetching is faster in rb-trees than in gb-trees.

4. dict still surprises with fast lookup times.

If any one can find some mistake in my code which lead to systematic
errors please tell me. Soon there will have to be more statistical
results as well. :-) Not!

I will soon release rbdict which will be plug-in compatible with idct
and orddict. The module must be cleaned up a little first. Then I can
add a delete column to my table.

Robert