[erlang-questions] dict, orddict and gb_tree

Robert Baruch autophile@REDACTED
Fri Feb 9 19:07:34 CET 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Richard Carlsson wrote:

> gb_trees is slightly more lightweight and a little bit faster on most
> operations than dict, so they are particularly good if you have large
> numbers of moderately sized tables. But in general, you're not likely
> to notice any difference until you really start to push the limits, so
> for everyday programs, you can use either without loss.

I wrote some code a few days ago that had to store about 17,000 key/
value pairs, where the key was an integer. I found that gb_trees was
far faster in lookup than dict was. I'm not sure if 17,000 is
supposed to be past the limits, but it sure was in my case :)

--Rob