[erlang-questions] Compiling erlang on AIX 5.3

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Mon Feb 5 00:14:58 CET 2007

"VAUCHER Laurent" <VAUCHER@REDACTED> writes:
<snip>
> Compilation seems to proceed further, but then
>
> === Entering application parsetools
> make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/otp_src_R11B-2/lib/parsetools/src'
> erlc -W   +debug_info -I/tmp/otp_src_R11B-2/lib/stdlib/include -o../ebin
> yecc.erl
> Could not load program
> /tmp/otp_src_R11B-2/bin/powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/beam:
>         The program does not have an entry point or
>           the o_snentry field in the auxiliary header is invalid.
> Examine file headers with the 'dump -ohv' command.

Hard to say without seeing the complete build log and "config.log",
but using Google there seem to be two main causes for this on AIX

  - Somehow the build put in "-G" or "-shared" on the link line
    of the "beam" executable.

  - "ld" was used to link the final application "beam", this will not
    work on AIX. The "gcc" or "xlc_r" command should be used for
    linking, as it "knows things" about runtime library dependencies,
    entry points etc that a plain "ld" has no idea about.

The problem with using "ld" is described at page 73 in

  http://jumpdoc.fz-juelich.de/doc_pdf/compiler/SG24-5674-01a-CandC++.pdf

kent

--
Kent Boortz, Senior Software Developer