[erlang-questions] memoization (was: Re: [Fwd: Re: Functional Programming])

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Aug 31 19:14:23 CEST 2007

If you use pure Erlang data structures you could only cache results
during the tail recursion (by adding another parameter, perhaps behind
the scenes with a parse transform or macro). Since ets is mutable and
lasts longer than the function call, you can cache results for the
duration of the process. Also, the performance of pure Erlang
dict/gb_trees/etc. is not generally as good as ets.

ets is generally preferred over the process table, as far as I have seen.

-bob