[erlang-questions] Spanking new neophyte seeks guidance

Jay Parlar parlar@REDACTED
Fri Aug 24 03:05:54 CEST 2007

On 8/23/07, Michael Campbell <michael.campbell@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction.  I'm
> a professional developer and have a pretty solid, albeit imperative
> background for the last 20 or so years.  I have long wanted to get my
> head around functional programming, and have picked up Erlang
> recently; as in about a week ago.
>
> I don't quite know /why/, but for some reason this language has really
> excited me.  Haven't felt this way about a language in a long time
> (year and language left as an exercise for the reader).
>
> I'm reading Joe's "Programming Erlang" book, and am slowly picking up
> the syntax, and TRYING to get the idioms.  I hope that will come with
> use and practice.  Ok, so, I'm reading that book, trapexit, any blogs
> I can find, looking at code samples, etc.  What I was wondering is if
> there were any canonical types of exercises, or tutorials with
> exercises, etc. that will help me along this journey?
>
> And lastly, I'll inevitably have really, really basic questions I'm
> sure.  Is this the place for those, or if not, where?

I'm in the exact same situation. Long time Python developer, excited
by all the recent Erlang talk in the Python community, learning from
the book. If you haven't found them yet, there's a lot of stuff on
erlang.org under "Examples". Haven't had time to go through them yet
(still working through the book), but it looks like there's some
decent stuff there.

Jay P.