[erlang-questions] sending packets using gen_udp

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Thu Aug 2 19:41:14 CEST 2007

On 01/08/07, igwan <igwan@REDACTED> wrote:
> Chandru a écrit :
> >
> > Where are you sending the packets? When you say you see only 9 packets
> > on your network interface, which n/w interface are you talking about?
> > The source or the destination? If it is the destination, probably your
> > receiving end has a small receive buffer?
> >

> I'm talking about the source interface. I checked the stats with "ip -s
> link" and the counter increments only by nine packets and of course the
> destination doesn't get more. This is on a 100 Mbps ethernet interface
> and I'm able to reach a decent sending rate if I wait between each
> sending, but this puts a high load on my emulator and complicates
> programming.

I wrote some C code to test this and it turns out that I get a similar
behaviour. I actually see more lost packets when running the C program
compared to erlang.

So I don't think this is an erlang specific problem. I think the
packets are being dropped somewhere in the kernel and this being UDP,
you are not being told about it. I've attached the C code in case  you
are interested in trying. Edit the macros in the code to change the
"destination host" and "send buffer size".

cheers,
Chandru