[erlang-questions] dialyzer in R11B-4

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Wed Apr 25 15:12:03 CEST 2007

Jay Edwards wrote:

> On 4/25/07, *Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB)* <ulf.wiger@REDACTED
> <mailto:ulf.wiger@REDACTED>> wrote:
>

>     I'll try to get back to figuring out why
>     Dialyzer crashed in the first place
>     (the reason why I tried to disable it.)
>

> I've had one reproducible crash while building the Dialyzer -- it was in
> a relatively resource constrained system, and basically I ran out of
> swap space while generating the PLTs.

Yes.

Indeed such crashes can happen in a system that does not have enough
memory (e.g has less than 512M of RAM).

The Dialyzer version which will be part of R11B-5 improves significantly
in this respect, but Erlang/OTP has no mechanism to gracefully recover
when it runs out of memory (when it cannot allocate enough memory for a
heap expansion).

Kostis