[erlang-questions] Any more recent version of Joe's "Performance Measurements of Threads in Java and Processes in Erlang"

Jonathan Gold dev@REDACTED
Mon Apr 23 15:58:06 CEST 2007

I'm building out some foundational stuff for a project, and am setting out to
explore java speed v. erlang under various conditions and types of workload.

One of the base conditions is simple processing of messages, as Joe seems to
have investigated in '98 in an Ericsson report entitled "Performance
Measurements of Threads in Java and Processes in Erlang" located here:

    http://www.sics.se/~joe/ericsson/du98024.html

I'm wondering if there are any more modern renditions of this experiment? That
version uses Erlang 4 and JDK 1.1. I looked around a bit more and couldn't find
very much out there.

I'm thinking it might be interesting to encapsulate a test like this (maybe not
this exact one, but something similar at least) in some of the experiments I'm
about to do, but want to see if there are other such reports out there that I
should look at first.

jon