[erlang-questions] Erlang on supercomputers

Chad Brewbaker crb002@REDACTED
Thu Apr 19 22:52:46 CEST 2007

The problems with Bluegene/L are:

1. The compute node kernel only allows user process per CPU. I haven't
looked into the Erlang source much, but all threading must be "green".

2. Communication is done over MPI in C/C++/Fortran. There is no API for
doing TCP/IP communication I know of, but if you are feeling lucky you can
use un-documented low level communication API's.

3. You need to cross compile, so all cross compilation problems with Erlang
apply.

I just got Ruby working on Bluegene/L and was thinking about doing Erlang
next:
http://www.ece.iastate.edu/~crb002/cnr.html

I don't know if I am a fan of Erlang yet or not. I'm on the fence weather I
should try porting it or just implement Erlang message passing functionality
I want as a Ruby library.