[erlang-questions] Speed of communication with external processes

James Hague james.hague@REDACTED
Sat Apr 14 00:02:50 CEST 2007

I wrote an Erlang program that uses a local TCP socket (with nodelay)
to communicate with a tiny external program (which I wrote).  I was
curious what the turnaround time was on sending data to the external
program and getting back a result, so I wrote a little test function.

Under Windows XP, I'm getting ~3500 round trips per second.  I was
surprised at how hight that number was.

Under OS X, I'm getting ~90 round trips per second.  90?  Wow, that's
low!  I'm sure something is wrong, but I haven't found it yet.

Anyone else ever run tests like this?  I'd be curious what kind of
numbers you got.

Thanks!