[erlang-questions] Tracing frameworks

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Fri Apr 13 10:05:45 CEST 2007

Hi!

I was looking at the available tracing tools and I am a little
confused. I hope someone can shed some light on these questions.

The "classic" way involves using dbg, a newer way is with observer/ttb
and even newer is inviso. One has to chose between those, because they
all use the built-in tracing mechanism. Are there any guidelines as to
what use cases are most interesting for each tool?

Regarding ttb, why is only a file trace port supported? For a
distributed setting, I guess it is much easier to be able to sort
events

Is it just me, or would a tool that is easier to use be something to wish for?

best regards,
Vlad